Sunday, May 20, 2007

Lavishly Local

Here's my recipe for a quick and decadent gratin that is as local as it gets.

1 lg clove finely grated garlic
2 lbs potatoes and turnips from the growers' market
1/2 to 1/3 liter of Kurtz and Sons Whole Milk
Salt and pepper (to taste)
Butter (to grease baking dish)
1 1/2 C grated/crumbled Sweetgrass Dairy Cheeses
Mixed fresh herbs (from market or your garden)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Thinly slice the potatoes and turnips, toss with the grated garlic and add them to a large saute pan. Add enough milk to barely cover the potatoes. Cover the pan and simmer over lowest heat until vegetables are just tender. Season to taste. Grease a gratin dish or other ceramic oven dish large enough to accommodate the vegetables in a 3" layer. Gently spoon in half of the vegetables (with their milk) and cover with half of the cheese. Add the rest of the vegetables and top with the remaining cheese. Gently tamp the cheese down so that milk seeps over the top of it. Place the dish (uncovered) in the oven and bake until the gratin is bubbling and golden on top and most of the liquid has been absorbed by the vegetables. Cool 15 minutes. Mince the herbs and shower over the gratin just before serving.

6 comments:

That Hank said...

Good god. That makes the turkey sandwich I brought for lunch look mighty pale.

Ever get the salmon flakes au gratin at Angelo's when they were downtown?

Food and Brew Love said...

Thanks! It was definitely a lovely success, but not as healthy as a turkey sandwich.

I didn't try the salmon flakes au gratin -- clever idea putting the salmon right into a gratin, and a great segway into my locavore's shibboleth:

I cooked salmon to have with that gratin. We all know that the North Florida Salmon Runs ain't exactly teeming. In my defense, at least I bought it from New Leaf!

hollywog said...

This is a fantastic recipe! Thanks for your comments on my blog. They are always welcome!

I'd actually love to learn more about Slow Food, and especially how what the movement is like in Tallahassee. Maybe someday we can meet up, talk, go to the Lake Ella market, and then go cook something. I'd love to write a peice on it sometime.

In the meantime, I'll be eating my gratin. And kudos on the turnips. In my opinion, one of the leeast appreciate and most exciting vegetables EVER!

Food and Brew Love said...

I'm delighted -- on all fronts.

And your idea about meeting at the market, then cooking together, is totally irresistible. We'll do it soon.

In the meantime, did you see the link to the Slow Food Tallahassee website? Lots of good info to get you started. It will change the way you cook. And definitely get on the email list!!!

That Hank said...

Ah, I'm a dork. They were SNAPPER flakes au gratin. I just had a brainblip on that one.

Anonymous said...

Good fill someone in on and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.